Welcome To ZU
The Zanzibar University, the first University on the Isles, is a private institution sponsored by Darul Iman Charitable Association (DICA). The main campus is situated at Tunguu area, in the Central District, some 19 kilometers from Zanzibar Town. The University campus, with a total area of 69 hectares of land, is located among pleasant and quiet countryside surroundings overlooking vast expanses of deep blue waters of Indian Ocean. It is an ideal place for serious academic work and research. Public transport from Zanzibar Town will bring you to the University campus gates. Private cars are also common..
Establishment and Ownership
The Zanzibar University was founded and is owned and governed by Darul-Iman Charitable Association. It was established on the basis of the following:
- The Constitution of Darul-Iman registered under the Society's Act No. 6, 1995 given at Zanzibar on 2nd August, 1996..
- A letter of Interim Authority issued by the then Higher Education Accreditation Council bearing Ref. No. HEAC/SU of 1st May, 1998.
- The Certificate of Provisional Registration No. 007 of 22nd December, 1999;
- The Certificate of Full Registration No. 003 of 4th May, 2000;
- The provisions of the Universities Act, 2005; and
- The Zanzibar University Charter, 2010 issued on 24th March, 2010 by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, H.E. Dr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete.
After getting a letter of Interim Registration in 1998, the Zanzibar University (ZU) had tried its level best to implement all the recommendations put forward by the Technical Evaluation Committees of the Higher Education Accreditation Council of Tanzania, currently known as the Tanzania Commission for Universities. The University then received a Certificate of Provisional Registration in 1999, and a Certificate of Full Registration on 4th May, 2000.
The mission of the University is to educate broadly and liberally men and women without discrimination of race, religion or physical disability, so as to reduce the severe inadequacy of qualified professionals and practitioners, improve the quality of education with the ultimate aim of up lifting the quality of life of Tanzanians in particular, and that of other people at large.
The vision of the Zanzibar University is to become a Centre of Excellence for the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge through teaching, research and consultancy with the view of providing expertise to the appropriate wider markets within Tanzania and beyond by the year 2020.
Zanzibar University is a full member of the following institutions:
- The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
- The Association of African Universities (AAU)
- Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals – Tanzania (CVCP-T)
- Tanzania Association of Private Universities (TAPU)
- Tanzania Education Research Network (TERNET)
- Tanzania Universities Sports Association (TUSA)
- Tanzania Counselling and Guidance Association (TACOGA)
Zanzibar University has links and working relationships with several institutions including: -
- Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU)
- National Accreditation Council of Technical Education (NACTE)
- National Examinations Council of Tanzania (NECTA)
- University College of Education Zanzibar (UCEZ)
- The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA)
- Zanzibar Institute of Financial Administration (ZIFA)
- University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM)
- International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
- Kingston University of United Kingdom
- The National Board of Accountants and Auditors (NBAA)
- Zanzibar National Chamber of Commerce, Industries and Agriculture (ZNCCIA)
- Ministries and other Government Departments
- The Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Save the Children-International
- World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY)
- United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Tanzania Education Authority (TEA)
- Muslim University of Morogoro (MUM)
- International Association of Universities
- Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH)
- Karume Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
- Mnazi Mmoja Hospital (MMH)
- Bububu Hospital
- Al-Rahma Hospital
- Tanzania Emerging Social Work Education Programme (TESWEP)